Sunday, October 14, 2018

Brixton - Victoria Line

001 210 x 148mm Watercolour and Ink - £50

Station: 001/270
Date: 13/10/2018
Travelling Companions: Nick Richards and Minnie the Dog

I will start at the edges, then work my way in, and then out and then in again.

Railway bridge in Brixton by Nick Richards
Brixton is the nearest tube station to my new home and I will start by following the Victoria line back to my old home in Walthamstow.

When I was in my teens Brixton represented the edge of my world. My parents allowed me to travel into London from Essex for gigs and the furthest I went was the Brixton Academy.

It was at the edge of my experience too. It seemed sharp, lawless and and dirty. The name alone threw up images of fire and blood from the 1981 Brixton Riot. But Brixton has always been kind to me, from my first DJ gig, to swimming in Brockwell Lido or one of my earliest dates in the Ritzy with my future wife.

I figure I'm going to spend a lot of time amongst bike racks doing this. They provide support whilst I draw and a little protection for my scared dog.

When you stay still in one place you notice patterns. I'm by the cigarette bin where a young man judges when people are about to discard their butts so he can smoke what remains.

Here I am at the edge, working my way in.

Like a lot of London it doesn't rush to greet you. It hugs you only once you've stuck around.

No comments:

Post a Comment