Monday, June 10, 2019

Highbury and Islington - Victoria Line, Overground

Station: 011/270
Date: 04/06/2018 
Travelling Companions: None


011 148 x 210mm Watercolour and Ink - £50
A grey and rainy day. I thought I knew this walk. I thought I had travelled from Kings Cross to Highbury enough times to know all the back channel but the route surprises me.

I tend to map out these walks using an OS map and another tube map app that maps out the network in its actuality rather than the topological map we know so well.


Many of the tube lines shadow the main roads, because it was easier to lay the track down presumably, but this route takes you just a little up the Caledonian Road before causing you to zig zag increasingly more expensive streets on your way I north.

I saw...


Housmans, the political bookshop that I revere but don't go in because i wouldn't know where to start and I don't want to look stupid.











A beautiful crescent that goes nowhere then comes back as all crescents do.










A sign that goes down the side of building. The sort of detail in architecture that could be 50 years old or put up yesterday.











A televsion-video-sales and repair centre. I must remember where it is and use it. It's so beautiful that these things exist. I will never use it.












A street with sphynxs outside the doors.











A building that used to be a pub and then was something else that sold booze but now isn't anything at all.










The Elfrida Society.











A man on a dolphin on a door handle on a door.

And so to Highbury and Islington. I signed a record deal here. My friend got beaten up here. I saw the Palace Brothers here. I rented an office here when I once could afford to rent an office.







No comments:

Post a Comment